Saturday, December 19, 2015

Review Format Update

Hey all!

It's been a long time since I've posted anything, but I finally have enough free time to come back and do something like this again. For a while I wrote for a friend of mines website, on which I did a review for Ryuu Ga Gotoku Ishin, Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMix (which is now available in English), and a Top 25 PS3 games of all time list. In one way or another, I'll add updated versions of those articles to this blog. (At some point).

Anyway, I'm going to be changing the format of my reviews. The new format will be:

-Gameplay (rated out of 5):
An evaluation of the game's mechanics. Rating will be a qualitative assessment of the enjoyability of the gameplay, the smoothness and ingenuity of the controls, and overall quality and variety of things to do in game.

-Story and Setting (rated out of 5):
An evaluation of the game's narrative, atmosphere, characters, etc. Taking into account that I've reviewed, and will continue to review, a handful of arcade ports (which are NOT story driven), judging story alone is insufficient. So atmosphere, aesthetics, etc. will also be considered here.

-Presentation (rated out of 5):
An evaluation of the game's visuals, music, sound, and technical performance. Fairly basic, a qualitative assessment of how the game interacts with your senses. I will be paying attention to the effort the developers put into things like frame-rate stability and texture quality. But this will have to correspond with what the developers are trying to do, and what technology they had to deal with. i.e. there's only so much you can do with arcade ports or HD remakes, etc.

-Import Friendliness (not rated):
This will no longer affect the final score, nor will it be rated. I will give you the appropriate information on how to get the games and how much Japanese you'll need to play them.

-Final Score (rated with a percentage and a letter grade, F ~ A+):
This will no longer be an average of the previous scores, but my score independently for the game's overall experience.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I may go back and update my past reviews to fit this format, considering I only have a few published anyway.

As always, like us on facebook and let us know what you'd like reviewed! I'm currently working on a review of Sakigake!! Otoko Juku for ps3 (appraently) so I'll wrap that up and post it later today!

1 comment: